Saturday, June 30, 2012

Morty Comix # 2401

The idea for Morty Comix # 2401 came to me in a meeting at work. I quickly jotted down the basic concept while pretending to look serious and intelligent.


So then I came home and drew six faces. The next stop was my little photocopier.


But guess what? I hadn't used my photocopier since Mini-Comics Day last may 26th. So when I opened the lid for scanning I found the original art for The Floating Head of Humptulips, a jam by Frank Young, Paul Tumey, Jim Gill and myself was still in there! A cartoon bomb for me for a change!

So I took that art and it became the first item in a box of material I'll be sending to the Washington State University Comix Collection when it fills up. I just sent WSU a big box of comix and related material earlier this month.

The box, by the way, was originally sent to me by Michael Dowers, one of several filled with copies of Newave! The Underground Mini Comix of the 1980s.

That hideous and frightening doll hanging above the box was given to me by my daughter many years ago as a joke. It is part of my Bulletin Board project.

 Then, for good measure, I tossed my original draft drawing for Morty Comix # 2401 as well.

Well, my my, we certainly got sidetracked, didn't we? So, back to the six faces:


I ran the images through my photocopier, and reduced them in size, on astrobright pink paper. Maybe about 15 copies. Then I cut them into little squares.

All the little squares were then placed inside a styrofoam cup. The cup itself was titled, numbered and dated.

 The original art, which was ballpoint on graph paper, was burned in my woodstove.

The next day, which is today, I visited a Timberland Library branch north of here and found a great place to leave Morty Comix # 2401 as sort of a cartoon bomb ...

 ... right under a dictionary stand.

And so I bid farewell to another Morty Comix left out in the world all on its own to face an uncertain fate.